Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Review: The Last Knife You'll Ever Buy

Knives Of Alaska delivers the quality of old for today's outdoor enthusiasts.

About 8 years ago I was in need of a new hunting knife when a friend of mine introduced me to Knives Of Alaska (KOA) with the warning that "this can get costly and addictive"!  My friend was right on both accounts.  My first KOA purchase was the Jaeger and it quickly lead to many more for myself, as well as a few as gifts to close friends.  The knives themselves were designed to withstand the harshest weather in Alaska, across glacier fields, swamps, mountains, and tundra.  Charles Allen, President and Owner, delivers quality and dependability to each and every knife.




Years later that first knife is still my favorite.  The Jaeger is sleek, and powerful.  It's the perfect representation of what happens when sophistication and elegance are matched with raw power and strength.  The D2 carbon steel is dangerously sharp, and the scar on my left hand is living proof of that (while it was absolutely my fault that I cut myself at all field dressing my buck in single digit temperatures is of no consequence).  Take a look at these features:

Category:Jaeger Boning Knife
Item Number:00113FG
Metal:D2
Rockwell Hardness:58-60
Bevel:18 - 20°
Knife Length:8-1/4"
Blade Length:3-1/2"
Weight:3.6 oz

The knife itself is a "Full Tang", which means the metal runs the full length of the knife; from the tip of the blade, to the butt of the handle.  This is important because it won't sacrifice strength by having a transition in the middle where the blade meets the handle.  Offered in two styles, Suregrip and Stag (both pictured below), the differences are purely aesthetical. 

Suregrip handle and leather sheath

Stag handle and leather sheath

For anglers looking for fillet knives, the Steelheader and Coho are excellent pieces of fine craftsmanship.  Both are only available in suregrip, but offer your choice of either a black or orange handle.  These knives hold their edge extremely well, allowing the user to easily process a full days catch without needing resharpening or touching up.  This is crucial to anyone who prefers to clean their fish at designated areas prior to returning home for the day.

Category:Steelheader
Item Number:00315FG
Metal:440C
Rockwell Hardness:58-60
Bevel:12-18°
Knife Length:10.875"
Blade Length:5.75"
Weight:2.8 oz


Category:Coho Fillet Knife
Item Number:00086FG
Metal:440C
Rockwell Hardness:57-59
Bevel:18-20°
Knife Length:13"
Blade Length:8-1/2"
Weight:5.3 oz



All KOA knives come with a lifetime warranty to the original owner on the handle and blade for "...defects from workmanship and materials and from breakage under normal use."  While the sheathes, leather included, are not covered by any warranty, you can be confident in the craftsmanship.  I've put my own cases and knives through rigorous weather and carrying, and can honestly say that they still look as they did the day I purchased them with very simple maintenance.  I have no doubt my grandchildren will someday carry these very knives of mine.  That's saying a lot.  They are the finest knives made today and I know you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment