Monday, January 14, 2013

5 In The Box with Allison Shaw



Allison Shaw is relaxing at home in California watching the Everstart weigh-ins live at Lake Okeechobee, Florida's "Big O".  Our initial greeting is interrupted by us both being shocked at the weight of the current leader, Ben Todd, who is currently waaaaaaaay ahead.
Allison
"Dude that's a six pound average...God I wanna be there right now!!!"

We laugh; hers is more of a giggle really, but it's infectious and makes you want to laugh more when you hear it.

Q:  Allison, why do you fish?

I got the bug, I grew up fishing, I caught a huge, I mean I caught a 7 pound bass when I was 8 which is huge for any 8 year old, and I've been fishing ever since.  My Dad and Pappa (my grandpa) taught me how to fish.

Q:  Is it different now?  Does the pressure of competition take the fun out of it?

It's different but if anything it's more fun.  I'm competitive by nature.  I don't have all day to just lay around, get a tan, wait for the bite and reel it in, and that requires an understanding of the science and biology of fishing:  migration, prespawn, postspawn, and you'll never know everything.



Q:  We've talked before about techniques and presentations and I know you love to throw a drop-shot whenever you can.  Who do you watch or read about to get better?

I watch a lot of Aaron Martens videos, in fact I watched a few of his the night before my first day of filming The World Series Of Bass.  I mean I know how to drop-shot for the most part, but just watching someone do what you like to do the most is really helpful.  There are so many different ways you can throw it, bring it in; there are a million different things you can do with that one simple bait.

Q:  Some people have said that you're the Danica Patrick of fishing, how does it feel to have your name said in the same sentence as someone who's had such a tremendous impact for a whole world of women on what has for years been considered a "male dominant" sport and what do you see as your responsibility to other women who look at you and see an opportunity that maybe they didn't see before?

Ever since that all started when I was back in college (people referencing her to me) I've interpreted that to mean being an advocate.  It's really flattering to be put in the same category as her, I mean honestly I'm nowhere near her level yet but if I help promote this amazing sport to other women then maybe I'll have an impact on them in some small way that will lead them to trying to positively impact others.



Q:  Along with that likeness to her comes the image of you as being just a sex symbol as opposed to a real threat to compete.

Yep.  That's always been a concern.  There are advantages to being a woman, of course.  But I was lucky enough to show people in college that I'm not just trying to take pictures with fishing rods.  I watch videos and read and practice every day to get better and to become a better angler.  I'm from LA, I'm not from the country, though I am at heart and spent my summers fishing at my Grampa's.  But honestly, at the end of the day my goals are the same as everyone else's on the water:  catch big fish and win. 

Q:  What's your favorite lake?

That's tough.  I love The Delta because I like the idea of having tides in fresh water I feel like it adds a whole different dynamic and it really offers many different places for you to fish your strengths.  But at the same time when I was in Texas I had an opportunity to fish Lake Amistad and oh my goodness it was like Lake Mead on steroids and there are huge fish.  The water is really clear and the landscape is breathtaking. 

Q:  What do you have planned for 2013 other than fishing?

I was a child development major in college, and this year I've started a program called "My Mom said there's nothing I can't do".  Basically I'll be travelling to elementary schools all over the country, talking to them about pursuing their dreams, working 100%, and not letting anyone tell them they can't reach their goal to be whatever they aspire to be.  I mean, a girl from LA, who would've thought she would be competing professionally with all these guys from the south?!?  So if I can do it, and I'm in my fifth year now, then clearly anyone can do it.

That's really great.  I have always given back to my community so I value that in others.

Yeah there are a couple of charity tournaments that I'm going to be at as well.  One of them is in Newtown Connecticut, there hasn't been much detail released yet, but it'll be coming out soon and I know it's going to be a great event.  And the other is The Indy Bass Club there are two people who are members of that club who have been diagnosed with cancer and they wanted me to come out and be a guest speaker at their fundraising event.  I'm going to record some footage from everywhere I go and put together a sort of memoir that should be really cool to watch because it'll show that you really can accomplish a lot if you want it bad enough. 

Q:  You're an artist too, right?

Yeah, (laughing).  I paint anything:  horses, people, babies, dogs, pets, pictures from trips to Fiji, poems, really I can paint anything.  I paint a lot at Holidays or as gifts.  I paint with my fingers.  I put white on my pointer finger, black on my ring finger, and the color that I'm using on my middle finger, and that, in my opinion, is the best way to blend water-based acrylics.  That's how I taught myself.  Then when I'm done I go back over everything with a really, really fine painter's brush.  It takes me between 18 and 30 hours per painting and I am taking deposits all the time. 



Q:  How do people contact you if they want something painted?

Most people contact me through Facebook or they can email me.


OK Allison, it's time for the 5 in the box:

Q:  Let's start with the obvious, the one that I'm sure a lot of guys want to know:  Who is Allison Shaw dating?

Allison Shaw is dating herself (giggling).  I'm being selfish for the first time in a while.  Everyone thinks it's really cool to date a tournament angler until they actually date one and for the moment I need to focus on myself.



Q:  Tell me one thing nobody knows about you?

(Laughing) I was on two really lame MTV dating shows when I was in high school. 

Q:  Do you have any pretournament rituals or superstitions?

I have a wooden fish key chain that my Gramma gave me that I always take with me.  I always used to have it with me as a kid when we would fish as a family and have a contest to see who could catch the first fish for a dollar and I had it with me when I qualified for the National Championship in College.  (Between giving this interview and it being written almost all of Allison's gear was stolen out of her boat, including that wooden key chain.)

Q:  If you had to guess where your best finish would be in 2013 where would it be, and where do you think you might struggle?

Probably The Delta.  Oroville is closer to Chico but I only fished Oroville once.  And I really wanna do well on The Delta.  Clear Lake will definitely be the hardest for me just because I've never fished it before.

Q:  What's the one body of water you would pick to fish in 2013 if you had your choice?

I wanna go to Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia.  I heard it's really beautiful there.

I'm sure they'd love to see you there.  Good luck this year, Allison! 

Thanks, Jim.  You too.  And a huge thanks to Hennessy Funds (Title), ATF Fishing News, My Webfix, Topwater Clothing, ATX wheels, YoZuri, Heroes on the Water, Lake Fork Trophy Lures, Dobyns Rods, Rod Glove, PCI, Phoenix Bar and Irish Gathering, Golden State Orthopedics, Rayjus Jerseys, Oakley Big Bass Tour, Salamander Sinkers, Pizz Customs, Lake Fork Tackle, Lazer Trokar, Damiki, Bass Hookups, Pink Fishing, and all my family and friends for supporting me!




No comments:

Post a Comment