Monday, September 8, 2014

Get The Lead Out!

Five reasons why Tungsten weights are better, for YOU!
I remember when I heard that New York State was banning lead sinkers. At first I thought nothing of it, but I quickly had a heart attack when I saw the price of Tungsten. I thought it was going to mean the end of my worm fishing days! I couldn't see a benefit, and I didn't know all the environmental hazards associated with lead that had prompted that legislation. That was 2002, over ten years ago, and since then we've all come to know the harm that lead and lead production can cause. But do you know the benefits to Tungsten?

1. Size Matters

Tungsten weights are generally comprised of 70% to 97% tungsten, an element much harder, denser, and heavier than lead. For the sake of this article, I'm going to be focusing on weights made by Elite Tungsten, a company that produces only 97% weights. This composition is significant because it allows anglers to use a smaller profile weight, thereby reducing hangups and eliminating costly time spent having to free your line. When compared to lead, the size of tungsten is much smaller, which will mean having a more realistic presentation of your bait by not having a two inch sinker in front. While that advantage might seem minimal at best on a farm pond, fish that get pounded on lakes like Hartwell, Douglas, or Smith Mountain can be easily turned off by abnormalities like that.

Click here to read the rest at Weather Underground!

No comments:

Post a Comment