Thursday, March 7, 2013

5 in the box with The Jc Bassmaster!

What does "Jc Bassmaster" stand for?  Is it like a Darth Vader alias?

HAHA.  It's a nickname a friend gave me.  I always wear a Johnson City Cardinals hat when I'm fishing (minor league baseball team), which also happens to be my hometown. 

So when you're not on the water you're more commonly known as __________ ?

Anton McKinney.



How did you manage to get into fishing?  Was it something you did as a child with a family member or did you find it later via some other avenue?

Its a funny story how I got into fishing. I had been a few times when I was younger, but I got serious about fishing a few years back.  I lost a job due to layoffs and took it pretty hard and a friend of mine told me to relax and go fishing--it will help. So he handed me his spinning rod and some tubes and I went to the lake. I caught a 3.5lb bass that day, and that's why I started fishing.
That bass I caught that day changed my life. It turned a negative into a positive.
 
Is it still relaxing if you're tournament fishing?
 
Anytime I'm on the water, if its a tournament or just for fun I'm relaxed and in a good mood.
 
Every day you have "The question of the day" on Facebook that tends to have a lot of great questions, and a large group of people who respond.  How did that come about?
 

It started when I asked a question about if you took the top anglers from B.A.S.S. and FLW who do you think would win. Then i started asking questions about different techniques and people really liked it and has been growing ever since.
 
Is there anyone that you look to as a teacher or that you can turn to for advice, tips, help with new lakes?
 
A lot of the stuff that I've learned from is online. Youtube is a great tool. I learned from the best, learned spinnerbaits and crankin from KVD, flippin and pitchin fron Denny Brauer. But I learn all the time from other anglers. I would like to fish with Ott and learn from him!

 
 
What's your favorite technique?
 
I would have to say crankin'.
 
What's your favorite lake?
 
I'd have to say Lake Boon, it's my home lake and I have more history there than anyplace else.
 
Least favorite?
 
I have two of them. Fort Patrick Henry simply because I don't think there is a single fish in it. The other would be South Holston Lake because I can catch them from 7am to noon after that I might as well pack up and go home (laughing).
 
Other than life as a Professional Angler, what is your "dream job"?
 
I would've loved to have played Professional Football or Basketball.

 
 
Ok JcB, time for five in the box!
 
 
 1.  What's it like on Sunday morning when you're not fishing?

If I'm not working I go to church then I go out to eat with my parents.  After that I spend time with my kids.

2.  Do you have any pretournament rituals or superstitions?

On the way to the lake I will listen to some music for about 10 minutes then I turn it down and give myself a pep talk and go over things in my head. Also I like my baitcasting reels a certain way on the boat.  I  used to wear the same pants but I can't wear them anymore because they have a hole in the back that got too big!  lol

3.  Where do you think your best finish will be in 2013, and where do you think you'll struggle the most?

We'll have to see.  There are a lot of good anglers around, but I think I'll do pretty well at Douglas or Cherokee.  I know I'll struggle the most on South Holston unless I can figure them out in the afternoon.

4.  What's the one body of water you would fish in 2013 if you had your choice?

Just one?!?!? That's a hard one, there's so many great lakes the produce big trophy fish but I would have to go with the BIG O (Lake Okeechobee).

5.  What's one thing that nobody knows about you?

I still watch Saturday morning cartoons with a bowl of cereal.  :)

Me too.  Good luck, buddy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment